Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The rich get richer, and the poor get children.

A few useful facts from Dr. Sridhar Krishnaswami, a journalism professor from India who spoke to our blogging class Thursday about journalism here and in India:


  • Krishnaswami: "I don't blog. I don't do facebook. I don't 'tweet.' I'm a boring guy."  I disagree with this one. My name is Rachel Williams, and I am here to tell you that an electronic presence has the potential to be like a monolithic event of boredom. You and I both know this.

  • In Krishnaswami's Indian newspaper, The Hindu - equivalent to the New York Times - stories begin and end on the same page to keep interest. That's smart, because I probably follow a story through the jump 1.7% of the time while reading the paper. Am I ashamed of this? Sort of. Is it likely to change? No, not really.

  • Krishnaswami said terrorism is less of a big deal in India, where 30 people die every day in the line of control between India and Pakistan.
We are the future?
  • The biggest hindrance to India's international economic and technological presence is population growth, according to Krishnaswami. People just keep having kids.



  • Dr. Krishnaswami doesn't like embedded journalists. Sorry, Mike Boettcher.

I'm an embedded journalist. Check out my Macbook Pro.
I disagree with everything you stand for. Get out of Afghanistan and off your Facebook.

Oops.
Anyway, they're both super cool guys. Krishnaswami does, however, glowingly endorse foreign correspondents, as he was a foreign correspondent to America for years.
I kept wanting to ask if Slumdog Millionaire provides an accurate picture of the economic disparity within India, but that might be a stupid question.

1 comment:

  1. Well, to answer your question Slumdog Millionaire does give a near accurate picture of the livelihoods of the poor section of the society in India. I also understand Dr. Sridhar's endorsement of foreign correspondents - I get 2 hear it everyday in the class!!

    ReplyDelete